Tuesday 10 April 2007

Whose embryo is it?

A woman left infertile after cancer treatment is awaiting a final ruling today from the European Court in Strasbourg as to whether she can use frozen embryos fertilised by her former partner. Her ex says he doesn’t want the burden of being a father to children he will not bring up.

This is a tough one as I can see the arguments on both sides although I’m more inclined to side with the woman. My heart bleeds for her if the court denies her appeal. After all, this is her last chance to bear a child but the dad can have other children with other partners if he chooses.

I can’t help but think of the millions of women worldwide who have the legal right to choose whether to carry a pregnancy to term or to have an abortion, even without the potential father’s knowledge or consent. I guess when the embryos have been created outside the womb it’s no longer a question of ‘her body, her choice’. Tricky issue. Read the full story here.

No comments: