Thursday 28 May 2009

No whine dining


Breastfeeding is one of motherhood's simplest pleasures. It can also be truly stressful when you're nursing in public and your little one hasn't yet perfected the art of dining al fresco. Cue failed latches, wardrobe malfunctions and misery all round.

Despite having nursed Mr. Cheeks until well into his second year, I've had more than a few unlucky attempts at trying to feed his baby brother while out and about. So I was thrilled to receive a product called the Breastfeeding Butterfly.

Designed by two UK mamas, this is a nursing cover with a twist: instead of a big stiff apron that screams 'look at me, I'm breastfeeding', you get a chic swathe of fabric that you simply tie across your body like a sash. Secure two knots at shoulder and hip, slide your very hungry caterpillar under the 'Butterfly' and it's bombs (or boobs) away.

In theory, that is. I must confess my first outing with the Breastfeeding Butterfly wasn't quite as smooth as the instructional diagram (cloth tied wrong, baby too unsettled).

So I practised at home until we both got comfortable and now the Breastfeeding Butterfly has become one of my baby bag staples. Aside from its portability (each Butterfly comes in its own dinky carry pouch), what I love about this product is that it's light and airy so you don't feel like your little one is suffocating or overheating. Mine comes in discreet black with pretty embroidery but you can snap up Butterflies in a range of gorgeous prints. Visit Faye and Lou's web site for more info.

1 comment:

Silhouette School said...

What a great idea. I'm still nursing my daughter at 9 months, but I've never nursed her in public. For whatever reason, if I need to go out I work around her schedule or take a bottle of expressed milk. But there's really no reason I couldn't breastfeed in public. Thanks for the great suggestion *and encouragement.