Wednesday 16 May 2007

Boobs on trial


As I’m now weaning my 15-month-old, I was struck by recent pap shots of brand new mama Maggie Gyllenhaal breastfeeding her 7-month-old. I was amazed once again at just how intrusive the paparazzi can be but even more stunned by the negative feedback. Maybe it shouldn't surprise me after Janet Jackson's Nipplegate that the sight of even part of a woman's bare breast should lead to public hysteria. Some object to her doing it in the open, others insist she should have covered up more. But stroll through any national gallery and you'll see nursing mothers from peasants to the Madonna proudly displayed as art.

If you've ever been out with a hungry breastfeeding baby, you'll realise that discretion is soon tossed to the wind and instinct kicks in. Some new mothers rely on specially designed nursing covers, tops with slits for easy access or even makeshift shawls. But show me a baby happy with wearing a blanket on his head and I'll show you an offspring of Michael Jackson (hey, two Jackson family references in one boobalicious post!) Personally I preferred loose tops I could lift up easily so baby could nurse without any fuss. Most passersby thought we were just cuddling and if I got the occasional funny look I would either focus on my baby or glare right back. After all, it’s rude to stare at people eating no matter how tiny they are.

Photo source: Celebrity Baby Blog

No comments: